Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Fast Food Nation

   I have had the unique experience of watching what is called the "fast-food" industry grow.  As a child, fast food meant something that mom would whip up in 30 minutes or less, now it means meals served up in 30 seconds or less.  One of my earliest memories was a stop at Mc Donald's for hamburgers, fries and a soda.  I was about 5 or 6 years old, and as we entered the parking lot, I noticed a sign that read, "Over 4 Billion Served."  "Wow," I thought, they serve balloons here, but why only 4, why not one for every customer?  Since we lived in a farming community, going to Mc Donald's was a treat that only happened two or three times a year, if that, since it was located only in the larger cities, and not in our small town.  The only other place that could compare, would have been a visit to the local A & W Drive-In, which still used car hops.  Watching them zip around on roller-skates from car to car, taking orders and coming back, trays full of great food and of course, their root beer floats, as "oldies" played over the parking lot speakers is something that I will never forget. 

  Fast foward 40 years, and the fast-food industry has certainly changed.  Go anywhere in America and you are more likely than not to find a Mc Donald's, Arby's, Burger King, Jack in The Box, or a Carl's Jr. on most corners, if not across the street from each other.  From limited menues of burgers, fries and soda only, we now have low fat foods, salads, shakes, smoothies and kid's menu's...and the list goes on and on.  The fast food industry has changed, to not only find a place in our society, but has spread out to several other countries.  Japan, England, Spain, and even China, to name a few.  I would not be surprised to find plans for a Mc Donald's if we ever build a community on another planet.  "I'd like the Low Gravity double cheeseburger, with a side of Space Spuds and an Asteroid soda to go please."

   I do enjoy an occasional trip to my local fast food eatery, but it is not as big a deal as when I was a kid.  Of course, then it was a treat, something to look foward to, now, I find myself oblivious to the forest of signs begging me to "Enjoy a break today", or eat chicken that is "Finger licking good".  Maybe it's just a sign of my growing older,  to the point that I am beginning to sound like my father...."Back in my days....."

6 comments:

  1. I feel like fast food signs have lost their appeal over time, most advertisements don't look appetizing unless I am really really hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I'd like the Low Gravity double cheeseburger, with a side of Space Spuds and an Asteroid soda to go please."
    LMAO! Ill take a side of space studds!!.. Loved it, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That part about 4 balloons was so funny! I can see baby Cuervo saying that! Also the space food is great! Great job, man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey great job, I really ike the space food!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, it's not a treat anymore because we could se fast food franchises on almost every street corner.

    ReplyDelete

"How did we lose our way???..."

     Greetings my friends...today is a day of memorials and pausing for moments of silence. We all know what today is, we've been bombar...