Tuesday, September 21, 2010

All About Performance

   At first glance, Daniel looks, sounds and acts like most 19 year olds you’d find on any community college campus.  However, after spending a few minutes, you realize that there’s more to Daniel than meets the eye, and in talking with him, I hope to share with you, just what I learned.
   What brought Daniel to Oxnard College was a combination of the proximity to his house, as well as the fact that most of his friends from high school were also attending.  But this journey into higher education almost didn’t happen.  “I really wasn’t thinking about college, I wanted to get a job and see what was out there for me,” stated Daniel, “But it was that my older sisters had attended college first, that motivated me to at least give it a try.” 
   Like most teen-agers, Daniel has a full day of school, work and of course, his social life.  His free time, when he can find some, is usually spent with his friends, his girlfriend, and when possible, his family.  “I like to hang with my friends as we work on our cars, it’s all about the engine performance, you know, the faster, the better,” he says with a grin.  “I also take time to spend with my girlfriend, going to movies, or just hanging out with her.”   Although he is close to his family, he does miss the one on one time he used to spend with his father.  “When I was younger, I used to follow my dad out to the garage when he was working on the family car.  As he worked, he would explain what he was doing, what the parts were, and how to make the repairs.  This was our time together, our “bonding-time” that I miss, since now I am usually in school or at work.” Daniel shares.  “We don’t see as much of each other, unless we’re having a family gathering, such as b-b-que’s, birthday parties, or special events, but we are still a close family, and we really get along with each other.”
   It was this time spent with his father that helped to direct just what Daniel planned to do with his life. “I decided that if I was going to go to college, I might as well get into something that I loved, and that’s working on engines.” Daniel is looking forward to continuing his education, with the goal of earning a Master’s Degree in either Automotive engineering, or as an Auto Technician. 
   Through it all, Daniel uses the following three words to describe his outlook on life.  Life; to live it and enjoy it.   Exciting; how life should be, and finally Risky; doing things his way.  If there is anything I learned in talking with Daniel, it’s that although he juggles a hectic school schedule, work load, and social life, this young man has dreams, desires and goals, and there is no stopping him once he sets his mind to things. I think that I can safely say, that there’s no stopping this young man as he works towards his goals, good luck my young friend….just one question….when can I bring my car into your shop???

5 comments:

  1. i had the same mind set as well with continueing college ((wanting a job and see whats out there)) glad Daniel decided on more education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! Nicely written. Good subject too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your word description on Daniel.

    ReplyDelete

"How did we lose our way???..."

     Greetings my friends...today is a day of memorials and pausing for moments of silence. We all know what today is, we've been bombar...